Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day Fun and a BIG surprise!

What a wonderful Mother’s Day! I’m so thankful for my three incredible children and for a loving and God serving husband. We had a wonderful weekend. The kids decorated a cake for me at VONS, Joshua had a baseball game that he truly shined in, and Marissa had an eye appointment in which she ordered her 1st pair of prescription glasses.
This morning we went to church and the children’s choir sang one of my favorite songs from when I was little, “Pass it on.” After church we met my mom down in Fashion Valley at the Cheesecake Factory. We had a lovely brunch and got to relax and catch up. Then we were in for a quick trip over to UTC, to once again look at the Pottery Barn Kids bedding. I’m in the process of moving the girls in together. I think we are going with a Hawaiian Theme. So hard to choose, but we finally came to agreement and the bedding was purchased. Painting will be in the near future. Joshua’s room with be next, after we get rid of the crib.
Last year I entered a contest from a local newspaper and didn’t win, so this year when I saw that they were running the contest for the 4th annual year, I decided to enter once again. I got word that I was one of two winners. So, I am now officially one of North County’s Surf Mamas! This is what I have won:
Private surf lessons
Custom bikini from Sunny Sky’s Bikini’s in Cardiff (can they make on that covers me all up? )
A rash guard from Hanson’s surf boards
A basket of free groceries from Albertsons
One 1 hour of housecleaning with two workers.
Bruch at Bellefleur restaurant in Carlsbad
Box of chocolates from Allie’s Edibles
Spa treatment from La Costa Resort & Spa
Massage at Massage Envy
Concert Tickets from the House of Blues
Spa Package at Ocean Day Spa in Carlsbad
Tickets to the So Cal Open Woman’s Tennis Championship
Spa treatment at Transcend Spa in Vista
Teeth whitening
And a face wax treatment in Encinitas
I can hardly believe it! I feel so blessed and so very lucky to have won this amazing prize package.
Here is the essay I wrote to the local newspaper:
I am very excited that this newspaper is once again holding the Surf Mama Contest for the 4th year. Being a mom is one of the most important jobs, and it often goes unrecognized. Your paper is not only recognizing local moms, but also giving them the opportunity to win a prize package with many perks, that they might not otherwise be able to splurge on.
My name is Denise. I live in San Marcos and I am a stay at home mother to Marissa-11, Joshua-7, and Sophia-3. I gave up my full time elementary school teaching career when Marissa was only 5 months old. My husband works downtown and is usually gone from home 12 hours a day. During the week I am pretty much on my own with the three kids. Our schedule is very hectic and busy with dance class, choir practice, baseball practice and Saturday AM ball games. Not to mention the endless cooking, cleaning, and homework that needs to be done in between.
My oldest daughter, Marissa was born with a genetic disorder called PKU. She is on a very low protein diet. Most of her food cannot be purchased at the grocery store and the low protein ingredients are bought through our medical group’s pharmacy so that I can bake for her at home. All of her cookies, bread and muffins are made by me at home. This is a very time consuming task. I love doing this for her and wouldn’t have it any other way. I am glad that I can make sacrifices in order to stay home, so that I can provide her with the food she needs to grow and thrive. I am also thankful that I am home and able to educate her about her disorder so someday she will feel confident and be able to maintain her diet on her own. Right now she is very interested in cooking and baking. I am grateful that I am able to help her in these areas.
My last baby was born in November 2006. After she was born I was determined to get down to my wedding weight. I had 40 pounds to lose after I had lost the baby weight. I did not have the financial means to join a gym, Stroller Strides or a weight loss program, so I started to do it on my own. I put the two little ones in the stroller every morning and walked 2 miles every day. I watched my diet and after 6 months I had lost that 40 pounds, and made my weight loss goal.
I am very blessed that my husband provides for our family so that I can stay home with the children. However, we have to be very careful with how we spend our money. Our one income does not include a budget for family vacations, babysitters, pampering, , etc. We give up a lot so I can be home with them. We get by because I clip coupons, follow grocery ads, shop sales for the children’s clothing and I resell my children’s outgrown clothing on E-bay. There is usually no room in the budget for frivolous or fun spending.
I would love to be pampered and spoiled with your INCREDIBLE prize package. Being that I do not indulge on myself, winning a package like this one would be appreciated more than words could ever express. It would make this Mother’s Day a very special and memorable one…a dream come true!

I am thankful for winning this package but most of all that I get to be called Mom, Mommy, Mama. Being a mom is something that I have always longed to be. It is one of the most difficult jobs, but also the most rewarding.
Happy Mother’s Day to all my mommy friends. I learn so much from you all and am so incredibly blessed to have you in my life.


Psalms 113:9 He maketh the barren woman to keep house, [and to be] a joyful mother of children. Praise ye the LORD.

1 comment:

The Young Family said...

Congrats to you on winning! You deserve it, you're a great mom and a wonderful example to me!