OK, now I need some serious genealogy classes. OK, my LDS friends should know this very well, but I have to google it and I still don't quite understand it all. My cousin came to visit with her husband and three girls. The three girls are my first cousins once removed. But, what are my first cousins once removed to my own kids? I have been telling my kids they are their cousins, but I know they must have an official genealogical name. All the genealogy terms are confusing. You try googling it and you'll get pyramids, family trees, etc. All fun to look at but very confusing. Any how, it was fun to see my first cousin Sara and her family and my kids had a BLAST with "their cousins." Here is a picture of Marissa, Joshua, Sophia, Tori, Calista, and Jordyn. Pretty good picture considering 5 out of the six are content. For your reading and thinking pleasure....below are the definitions of cousins.
Here is a definition of a cousin:
A cousin in English kinship terminology is a relative with whom one shares a common ancestor, but in modern usage the term is rarely used when referring to a relative in one's own line of descent, or where there is a more specific term to describe the relationship, e.g., brother, sister, aunt, uncle. The term blood relative can be used synonymously, and underlines the existence of a genetic link.
Here's where it gets complicated:
A system of degrees and removes is used to describe the relationship between the two cousins and the ancestor they have in common. The degree (first, second, third cousin, etc.) indicates the minimum number of generations between either cousin and the nearest common ancestor; the remove (once removed, twice removed, etc.) indicates the number of generations, if any, separating the two cousins from each other.
For example, a person with whom you share a grandparent is your first cousin; someone with whom you share a great-grandparent is a second cousin. Where your relationship to the nearest common ancestor is different from your cousin's relationship then the term "removed" is used to indicate this, for example the child of your first cousin is your first cousin once removed because there is a generation between you.
Hmmmm...maybe my first cousins once removed are Second Cousins to my kids. what do you think? I think I just may be trying to think too much!
Sunday, May 25, 2008
Second Cousins, or 1st Cousins Once Removed???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




<





1 comment:
OW, you just gave me a headache! You are really thinking too much! Great picture though!
Post a Comment